Cherry Compote- Best ever cherry topping

I have been experimenting more and more with fruits in this entire summer. From making fruit based cakes, fresh fruit toppings, fruit chillers, ice creams, I have tried my hand at so many things and not one has disappointed me.

So before the summer goes away, I wanted make another fruit based Ice cream and I decided on to make a Litchi-Cherry Ice cream topped with Cherry Compote. If you want to get the recipe for the super easy Litchi-Cherry Ice cream, then stay tuned for my next post.

 I Instagram my whole cooking process in stories, and so many people asked me how I was making the Cherry Compote. So, I decided to do a separate post on this, to address all your queries.

For starters, I'll admit Cherry Compote is not your everyday dish, you might find it in restaurants used as a topping for waffles, pancakes or ice creams but not really everyone has heard of it. So a little about it- Compote is type of semi liquid sauce which basically means fruits preserved and cooked in syrup. It retains the pieces of fruits in it and is not very thick.
Now you may get confused between Compote, Sauce, Coulis and Jams. They are all from the same family. There is a really great post explaining all about the differences by Joe Pastry which you can find here.



Now for the process- its pretty simple. The cherry compote has all of 4 ingredients and it doesn't take much time to cook. All you have to do is mix them and cook on simmer flame.

It can be used anywhere as a perfect topping for all your home cooked desserts to give it a lovely sweet-citric flavour and can also be preserved in a refrigerator for later use.

You can find the recipe down below. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for all updates of new recipes and more deets.

CHERRY COMPOTE

INGREDIENTS

Cherries (fresh)
2 cups
(seeded and halved)
Lemon Juice
1 Medium Lemon
Sugar
5-6 tsp
(more or less as per your taste)
Water
¾  cup

METHOD

  1. In a saucepan pour the water and add seeded halved cherries. You can also chop them if you don't like to have bigger pieces. (My sister doesn't, so I made both versions)
  2. Add the sugar, essence and lemon juice once it is boiled.
  3. Now close the lid of the pan and cook on low flame for 10 min, occasionally stirring it so that it doesn't stick to the surface.
  4. Once the liquid turns a little thick, turn the gas off and let it cool.
Cherry Compote is ready to be topped of on anything and everything you like.

Also, stay tuned for my next post on homemade Litchi & Cherry Ice cream without an ice cream maker.

Happy Eating!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts