Eggless Chocolate- Vanilla Rosette Cake

These days I'm experimenting with new techniques of cake decoration. It helps me learn new things and my family gets to eat cake practically everyday. It's like a part of life for them now (a little too much rather)

And with my experiments in kitchen going on, I tried my hand at the 'oh so pretty' looking rosette cakes that covers my entire Pinterest feed and I have been dying to try it out ever since I saw it for the first time a year back. And Mother's day this weekend I thought why not surprise mom with an early cake.

I made a basic chocolate cake for the base and wanted to even out the chocolate flavour with some vanilla whipped cream. Had mentioned in my Eggless Strawberry Shortcake post about elders in my family getting a little chocolate averse, so got to cater to all those taste buds.
For the rosettes I made a strawberry flavoured buttercream icing because again I was playing with flavours. I wanted the most subdued chocolate flavour in the cake.

Haven't really mastered the technique but I believe I did a decent job for a first timer. So basically you can do it too. Its pretty simple. Just a few times I tried on butter paper first and then swish swish the cake decoration was done. I identified a few pros and cons of doing a rosette design for a first timer and would definitely share it with you all.

Pros:
Rosettes are relatively easy buttercream decoration, quick to make and gives a good coverage to the cake without thinking much about doing different designs.
It gives a very sophisticated yet pretty feel to the cake and is a technique that can be mastered easily.

Cons:
Not everyone is a fan of buttercream. I personally like whipped cream better. Its much less sweet.
In Delhi, where the temperature is presently 42C (108F) the buttercream melts easily. I had to literally get the cake into the fridge twice between icing.
The consistency has to be perfect and maintained for icing otherwise it might seperate into sugar and butter (which is really bad).

All in all, it is something that is worth trying and gives out amazing looking results especially in cold temperatures outside. Since, it was my first try, I'm sure experts would differ at their opinions and I would also gradually learn the tactics.

Below is the recipe for the EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE AND ROSETTE ICING





EGGLESS CHOCOLATE- VANILLA ROSETTE CAKE


INGREDIENTS

For Chocolate Cake

All Purpose Flour (Maida)
1 cup
Powdered Sugar
1 cup
Cocoa Powder + Coffee powder+ salt
½ cup+ 1tsp+ pinch
Baking Powder
1 ¼ tbsp
Baking Soda
½ tsp
Yogurt (medium consistency)
1 cup
Vanilla/ Chocolate Essence
1 tsp
Oil
½ cup

For Icing

Whipped Cream
2 cups
White Butter
½  cup
Powdered Sugar
½  cup
Strawberry syrup/ flavour
1 tsp
Food colour
2 drops

METHOD 

For the cake

  1. Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease a 6in cake pan with oil and butter paper.
  2. Mix flour, powdered sugar and cocoa powder, coffee powder and salt. (The secret to a rich and moist cake is this small amount of coffee and salt in the batter)
  3. Take another bowl and mix yogurt, baking powder and baking soda. Let it sit for a minute to rise and form bubbles.
  4. Add this yogurt and oil in 3 parts to the flour mix and fold well. (Do not overfold as it will lose all the air incorporated in the batter)
  5. Add vanilla essence to the batter.
  6. Pour the batter into the greased pan. And bake at 180 for 35 min. (Check after 30 min first and then keep more if undone.)
  7. Let the cake cool completely before icing.
For the Icing
  1. Cut the cake into half and put whipped cream on top of the lower half.
  2. Now crumb coat the entire cake and chill for 15 min.
  3. Mix sugar, butter and flavour with a whisk/beater with whisk attachment at high speed for 5 min until firm peaks are formed. Add the desired food colour to this buttercream.
  4. Using star tip in a piping bag, pipe rosettes onto the cake and cover it with these. You can pipe small or big rosettes as per your choice and space on cake. Chill in fridge to set the icing.
Rosette cake is ready to be served.

6ebfbd0cf5ce2d568718aebac27413f32fdb6938266ade86fb

Comments

Popular Posts