Eggless Gingerbread Cake - Gingerbread Village Series (Part 2)

No Christmas holidays is celebrated without Ginger Bread cookies and cakes. And I had to follow suit too. Because they are not just yummy but they are so beautiful and fun to make. I mean creating an entire village over a cake is the perfect centrepiece to your dinner table and believe me I have the most fun making this one in a long long time. Its like going back to childhood when I used to make working models for school projects. (Summer vacay projects used to be my favourite part of year, yes I was a total nerd, still am!)

I made these Ginger bread series in 2 parts. For those of you who missed part 1 where I posted the GINGEBREAD COOKIES recipe, no worries, the link to eggless iced cookies are right here.
And as part 2 of my village series, here is the recipe for Eggless Gingerbread cake made with whole wheat flour. Lately, I have switched to whole wheat flour and other healthier flour option and completely ditched white flour/ all-purpose flour/ maida which is really unhealthy and full of gluten.

I'm planning to do a post on different kinds of flours you can use for baking, let me know if you would like to know more about flours, in the comments below.



Find the recipe below, hoping you enjoy making it as much as I did. Also, I have adapted this recipe from the best vegetarian recipe blogger I know. The link to the original recipe by Dassana is here at
Veg Recipes of India.

EGGLESS GINGERBREAD VILLAGE CAKE

INGREDIENTS

Whole Wheat Flour
1 ½ cup
Ginger Powder
3-4 tsp
Cinnamon Powder
½ tsp
Baking Soda
¾ tsp
Baking Powder
1 ½ tsp
Yogurt
1 cup
Oil
½ cup
Jaggery
¾ cup
Water
¼ cup

METHOD

  1. In a bowl, mix together Flour, ginger powder and cinnamon powder.
  2. In another bowl take the yogurt and mix with it baking soda and baking powder. Let it rise for 2 min.
  3. Till then in a saucepan mix the jaggery and water and heat it over gas/induction to melt the jaggery.
  4. Now mix all of these to make the cake batter.
  5. Pour the batter in a greased cake tin of 6 inches.
  6. Preheat the oven at 180C and bake for 25-30 min until cooked and golden brown in colour.
Icing the cake
  1. I used simple whipped cream in 2 colours white and light chocolate brown to give a basic crumb coat.
  2. Now start assembling your village using the iced gingerbread cookies that you made. Design the village whichever way you like.
  3. Let it rest for 1/2 hour in fridge for all of it to set. Your cake is ready to be served.

Comments

Popular Posts